Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Vintage Inspired Bags


The other day, while surfing the net, I came across an article (at one of my favorite sites, HBD101.com) that was written about two fashion designers whose backgrounds are in landscape architecture.  These designers create bags that are American made, high quality, reasonably priced, vintage inspired classic styles, from the 1950’s – 1960’s, and the name of their company is White Sycamore.

The two gentlemen, Peter Hao and Miguel Valdez, founders of the company, appear to take great pride in their work, and they have every right. White Sycamore bags are: unique, not mass produced, and you won’t find them in large franchise stores. Also, the article stated that the designers started out, in 2009, with one bag “The Mailman Bag.”  I found this bit of information to be interesting, because one of the first bags that Louis Vuitton created was a “Mailman Bag.”

And, although I did see at least one canvas bag, the majority of the bags that I came across were made from leather, and appeared to be designed for men. To date the company has about thirty pieces in several different styles from tote bags to architect plan and iPad carriers. But, no matter what material the bags were made from, or who they were created for, they all appeared to be quite stylish and unique.  I wish I had photos, but as for now I don’t. I’m sure, if you search online for the company, you will find their web site, and from there you can view all the different items that are available.

Now, you won’t be able to purchase these bags just anywhere, because they are only available at some very high-end office stationary stores, and classic men’s boutiques. I live on the west coast, and I did find at least one boutique here, in Los Angeles, where the bags are sold, but they are also available at locations as far away as Tokyo, Japan. I think I’ll stop by the boutique this coming Saturday, to get a feel of what they have.  From looking at the photos, within the web site, the bags are nice, and they don’t all look masculine. Who knows, I might find something that works for me.

I’ll let you guys know.

No comments:

Post a Comment